Breast surgery is a technique that alters the appearance of a woman’s or a man’s breasts. These procedures are carried out for many reasons.
Some procedures are performed for aesthetic purposes, such as reconstructing or enlarging the breast to make it appear young. Others, such as breast reduction for back discomfort or cancer surgery, are medically essential.
What Is Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery is a treatment that is performed on the breasts of a woman or a man (s). Breast operations come in a variety of forms. Some procedures are done for medical reasons, such as cancer, while others are done for aesthetic purposes (plastic surgery). Here are several examples:
Reasons related to health:
- Surgical treatment for breast cancer (lumpectomy, mastectomy). To eliminate the malignancy, a portion or all of the breast. As well as perhaps surrounding lymph nodes, is removed.
- Surgical intervention as a preventative measure (mastectomy). Breasts are occasionally removed to prevent breast cancer.
- Breast lumps that aren’t cancerous are removed. Some non-cancerous breast tumors may need to be removed.
- Reduction of the breasts. (It should be noted that this procedure can also be done for aesthetic reasons.)
Reasons of appearance:
- Breast reconstruction is a procedure that involves the rebuilding of the breast. After breast cancer surgery, this is the most frequent surgery.
- Breast augmentation is a procedure that involves increasing the size of the breast. The size of the breasts is grown.
- Breast reduction is a procedure that reduces the size of the breast. (It’s worth noting that this might also be done for medical reasons.)
When Is It Essential to Get Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery is required for a variety of medical reasons, including breast cancer, non-cancerous breast lumps, and breast reduction surgery to relieve back discomfort. There are also aesthetic motives, such as a desire to have a different breast size, shape, or looks.
What Happens Before Breast Surgery?
You’ll discuss with your doctor before any clinical or cosmetic treatment. He or she would first have to understand your condition and assess if you’re a good candidate for the procedure.
Your healthcare practitioner may ask you to undertake some activities to prepare for your operation at this stage in the procedure, such as:
- Make changes to your medicines.
- Make an appointment for a blood test.
- Stop smoking and consuming nicotine in any form.
- Drugs that might cause bleeding, such as aspirin, should be avoided.
- Stop using illegal substances for fun.
- If vitamins are advised, take them.
What Is the Procedure of Breast Surgery?
Breast surgeries are extremely difficult, but the steps are broken down here using two examples: breast augmentation and breast reduction surgery.
A Breast Augmentation Procedure Consists of Five Steps:
- Anesthesia: General anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
- Incision: The placement of the incision is determined by the kind of breast implant, the size of the implant, and your surgeon’s recommendation.
- The implant must be inserted and placed: The implant will be placed either behind the pectoral muscle or immediately behind the breast tissue, which is located above the pectoral muscle. Your surgeon will go through all of your options with you to determine which is best for you.
- Ensure the incisions are closed: The skin is closed with surgical tape or a skin adhesive (glue) after the incision is closed with multilayer sutures in the tissue.
- Check out the outcomes: As soon as you wake up, you will be able to witness the effects of your operation.
A Breast Reduction Procedure Consists of Five Steps:
- Anesthesia: Anesthesia that is administered to the entire body.
- Incision: Would be around the nipple, then downward underneath the breast.
- Disposal: Excess skin, cartilage, and fat are eliminated.
- Relocation: Your nipple will be moved to a better position.
- Make sure the incisions are closed: A drainage tube may be placed at the incision site by your healthcare practitioner. Dressings will be placed on the wounds.
Breast reconstruction surgery may be the right approach if there has been harm to the breasts or especially the nipple, or if you wish to modify its look. Unfortunately, this will not help with difficulty to nursing or nipple feels. Implants or your tissues, such as a section of your abdominal wall, are used in the reconstruction.
What Are the Dangers of Breast Augmentation?
There are dangers associated with all operations, and breast surgery is no exception. The following are some of the potential dangers:
- Changes in the feeling of the nipple or breast.
- Implant rupture or leaking.
Cost of Breast Surgery
Real personal data show that the average cost of breast reduction surgery is $5500. The breast reduction surgery cost includes the surgeon’s fee, anesthetic fees, operating room fees, and hotel accommodations.
Breast surgery is a very effective procedure, particularly breast reduction. It can be proven by observing multiple examples of breast reduction before and after. So, if you want to step forward in this regard, then by all means go ahead.