Tylenol was introduced in 1955 by McNeil Laboratories. It is a trademarked brand of acetaminophen, used to reduce fever and give relief from pain. Acetaminophen dosage is also known as paracetamol, it is used to treat mild pain like headache, joint pain and also reduce fever and pain. This drug has different trade names such as Tylenol, Panadol, and Tempra. Most people ask the same question that How long does it take Tylenol to work?
How Long Does It Take Tylenol to Work or How Much Time Is Required for Tylenol to Work
So when we talk about the time required for Tylenol to work, it is different for everyone according to their age and weight. If you are using this medicine to lower your fever or to pain relieve, normally it takes 45 minutes.
Three types of acetaminophen dosage are liquid, oral, and tablet. Oral tablets need 20 minutes to start working. A little longer time to start working on Rectal suppositories is required that is up to 2 hours. Intravenous acetaminophen requires 10 to 20 minutes to start working.
How Long Does It Take Tylenol to Work?
A common question raised is that How Long Does It Take Tylenol to Work? So for fever reduction and relief from pain Tylenol usually lasts about 4 hours.
You should not take the next tablet before 4 hours. You may consult your doctor if your pain does not get better after 1 to 2 hours. Then the doctor can guide you for a different or larger dose.
So now we take about talk about an important question that can you take Tylenol on an empty stomach? There are different kinds of medicine. Some of the medicines should always be taken with food and if you take them on an empty stomach, you may have side effects.
There are some medicines you can take on an empty stomach also And Tylenol is one of them. Due to adverse effects on the digestive system, Tylenol can be taken with food or also after meals because it is not as harmful as Aspirin or Advil.
Tylenol has no strong effect on the body. However, if you feel nauseous after taking Tylenol, just eat something before taking it next time.
How Long Does It Take Tylenol to Kick in – Formulation of Tylenol
- Capsules Extra Strength packs 500 mg Acetaminophen
- Tylenol Extra Strength Coated Tablets 500 mg Acetaminophen
- Children more than age 12 years old and adults Tylenol PM Extra Strength Liquid
- For 12 years old and adults (Tylenol) is Dissolve Packs
- Tylenol for 4 – 11 years old
- Children’s Tylenol for 6-11 years old
- Chewable tablets for 2 – 11 years old
- Children’s Tylenol Dissolve Packs for 6 – 11 years old
This is important to consider the weight and age factor of any person before recommending the proper dose. You must consider the weight and age of the person for the proper dosage. Max dose of Tylenol will also depend on this. You cannot give Tylenol to the child if his weight is under 36 pounds and a child of two to four years. Read it. what is the average weight for a 13-year-old?
Tylenol cannot be used for an infant child less than 2 years without the instructions of your doctor or prescriber. Do not take more than recommended doses or extra tablets. The doctor you are consulting will tell you Acetaminophen max dose after seeing your patient’s condition.
- For adults Capsules, Extra Strength packs 500 mg Acetaminophen dose use 2 powders after every 6 hours as per need
- Extra Strength Coated Tablets 500 mg Acetaminophen (Tylenol) use 2 tablets every 6 hours as needed,
- You cannot exceed tablets in 24 hours. PM Extra Strength Liquid for children over 12 years old and adults (Tylenol) use 30 ml at bedtime,
- Dissolve Packs for over 12 years old and adults (Tylenol): 2 powders every 6 hours as needed, not to exceed six-packs within twenty-four hours.
- Use Children’s Tylenol for 4 – 11 years old: (not to exceed five doses in twenty-four hours)
- Chewable tablets are also available for children of 2-11 years
What Are the Uses of Tylenol?
The effect of Tylenol is temporary. If you are not feeling well after taking one dose, you can take another one after 5 to 6 hours. If the symptoms keep going after four days or more, it is better to consult your doctor or physician because there might be another disease that is causing more symptoms. Such as antipyretic ( reduced temperature during a fever) and an analgesic ( pain relieves).
Tylenol can be used in these conditions
- Flu symptoms
- Joint pain
- Common colds
- Menstrual cramps
- Muscle pain
- Other minor aches/pains
How do you store the medication?
You can store your medication in a cool and dry place. Do not store Tylenol or other medicines in humid places like kitchens or washrooms. All your medications should be out of reach of children or pets. So can be safe for future misuse of medicine. Fix a cool and dry location in your house to store all medicines.
How long does it take Tylenol to work – Side Effects of Tylenol
Tylenol does not have such side effects but still, some people experience some side effects. Such as allergy. If you notice any allergy symptom must visit your nearest doctor.
Symptoms of allergy include
- Rashes on your skin
- Swollen tongue
- Dyspnoea (difficulty in breathing)
Due to allergy, you might face fatal anaphylactic shock. But this is not a big problem. You can take an anti-allergy tablet or injection after consulting your doctor and you will be fine.
Some of the minor side effects of Tylenol are:
How long does it take Tylenol to work – Precautions When Taking Tylenol
- Always store your medication at room temperature of (20 – 25 °C). Don’t place them in hot places, maybe it reduce their effectiveness.
- Take Tylenol only as per need. When the pain and fever disappear, stop taking Tylenol. Taking Tylenol is not good with other antibiotics and drugs
- If you are breastfeeding or pregnant, please consult with your doctor before using Tylenol.
- People who are with organ impairment (liver, kidneys, heart, and lungs) must consult a doctor at first. The doctor can recommend you better or he can decrease. The dose according to their doctor.
- If you take more than the recommended medicine, it can cause liver damage. o not take more than the recommended dosage as this can result in severe liver damage; for example, if you take more than 4,000 mg per day.
- Tylenol can also damage your liver if you are drinking a lot of alcohol. But taking a little amount will not have a harmful effect. For the safer side avoid drinking alcohol with Tylenol.
- If skin rashes or any kind of allergy appears on your body, stop taking Tylenol and consult your doctor.
- Visit your doctor, if your pain remains still the same for more than 10 days.
- After three days of taking Tylenol, if you still have a fever, visit your doctor. It is possible to have a severe illness.
- Store your medicine in a secure cabinet, which is out of reach of children and pets
- Do not take this medication while taking another drug of Acetaminophen dose. It can risk your liver.