You might be looking for answers about how to drain a gum abscess at home. A lot of people might wonder what it is. A gum abscess is a kind of pus that can be in your teeth or gums. It is because the bacteria enter your teeth and create cavities. It is more like a popcorn kind of thing you can find in your teeth. The most hurting part is the pain you have to go through.
Tooth decay is without a doubt one of the worst things that can happen to the health of your teeth. Your oral hygiene matters and one should not be taking it lightly. If pus is in your gums then the first thing you should do is consult a doctor. You might be going through a lot of pain around your jaw, neck, and ears.
It’s common to have a lot of pain that you cannot control even with heavy painkillers. You might not be able to sleep or even sit a while with comfort. The painful sensation is hard to overcome without removing the pus from the teeth.
How to Drain a Gum Abscess at Home – Things You Must Know:
- There might be signs of spreading infection that can cause throat infection, muffled voice, and high fever. Some people might also go to the emergency department because of too much pain.
- Sometimes when you are unable to remove the abscess at home, you must seek professional help. They will be able to help drain the abscess that is causing you the pain.
- You can ask your doctor to use anesthesia if they have to do needle insertion in the treatment,
- If you are pregnant, must wait to complete your 1st trimester. If the pain is too much to handle, consult with your doctor immediately.
There can be a loss of blood during the treatment as well. So, you don’t have to worry about it as it is the pus you must get out of the teeth.
How to Drain a Gum Abscess at Home – Complications That Can Happen:
You must know everything. There can be complications either you do this at home or seek professional help. They are:
- Spreading the infection to the other teeth
- Local anesthesia that won’t work properly or cause side effects
- Failing of completing the treatment properly
How to Drain a Gum Abscess at Home – the Procedure:
You mustn’t perform any procedure at home. There is always the chance of spreading the infection so should rely on professional help. Call your dentist immediately for the sake of your oral health. There are also some other things that you can do at home while you are waiting for the dentist.
- You can use a saline rinse at home
- You can use anti-inflammatory drugs that are quite common nowadays
- Mix one part of hydrogen peroxide(3%) in one part of water and gargle for pain release
- Gargle with saltwater
- Put a garlic clove on the teeth from where the pain is coming
- Apply essential oil to your jaw, neck, and ears
- Drink herbal teas that can comfort you
- Ask anyone to give you a good massage on your face with light pressure
These are some of the easy ways by which you can try to ease the pain. Or, you can try how to get a gum abscess to drain at home.
How to Drain a Gum Abscess at Home – Aftercare of the Treatment:
- The patient must apply the warm and moist cloth to the area. Moreover, take anti-inflammatory drugs regularly for a week. The timing of the medicine depends upon your doctor but it is important to get rid of the pain. You can apply salt as well as it will ensure a proper flow of blood that will help you with the pain.
- If you are a diabetic patient, then it is important to check your blood sugar regularly.
- Take oral antibiotics if the doctor was using a needle. It is important to take these drugs to ensure the proper health of your teeth.
- It is imperative to pay attention to your nutrition. Take extra fluid and eat a healthy diet. Avoid sugary food for some time now and just eat soft food items.